Monday, September 29, 2014

My American dream

Focused. Restricted view, eyes up ahead on the road away from the mundane interior is how the test Camaro featured here gets you to sit. The windscreen is raked backwards giving the driver the message this is a car to be taken seriously. 
2011 Camaro test car
I have 1 lap, take it out for a quick spin and worse still i have to share the lap with my sidekick.
I opt for the long route, a trip to Vgc and back. On a Friday night this would give me sufficient time to fully max this car out but on a Saturday afternoon i would need to be at my A game to dare test its output. 
2011 Camaro test car rear view

Set out point was Osapa, i take the short stretch to Jakande to familiarize myself with the beast lurking underneath the bonnet. Brakes are firm, steering has a 2 turn lock, seats are bolstered firmly. This car has a custom-fitted JL audio system that costs as much as a small car.
9000$ sound system fitted to the test car
I don't hear any of whats playing out over the stereo as my heart is beating fast. I can feel the sub-woofers tearing against my seat and hitting at my kidneys. How will i conquer the wild animal which will be unleashed once i open the taps is what i am focused on.
There's a lot at stake here, this is the most powerful car i have driven and while this test car isn't the SS or RS it still packs enough punch to beat almost every car you see on the road. A quick poke at the accelerator pedal sees me dart past one, two, three cars before the 2nd gear comes. Ohh boy, this was gonna be 1 heck of a ride. In the corner of my eye, i see my test partner gripping for roof holder, it wasn't there. I was going past cars on the road like yokozuna was tearing through pizza's. I had arrived at the chevron toll gate all too soon... It was a hot afternoon, it was getting hotter still and so i ask my buddie to power on the AC.
Approaching the Chevron toll gate.
 This was about half way through my half lap of this test. Cooling came quickly and precisely, i was fast acquainting myself with this car. Though a base model, this car came with a sports exhaust which meant the faster you go, the louder the exhaust note became. I was aiming for every car on the horizon and gunning them down with no effort. I approached the Megachicken turn and didn't bother to lift off the accelerator. I took the turn on the outer lane, crossed right to the inner lane and had the round about in my sights. It was like being thrown into the room with the girl you dreamed off in secondary school and your 2 minutes were almost up...you would look around and check to see if you'd done everything. I was at that point here and as i looked at the dash, i was clocking 145-150km\h. For purposes of comparison, the speedo tops out at 160. In this car you get no sensation of speed. The word speed is dead to you in this beast. 
Center stack on the 2011 Camaro
My brain instantly told my huge right foot to get up and move, move over to the break pedal and slow things down. I reached Vgc seconds after my brain functioned on its own for the 1st time in a long time.
This had been an experience, i had in my own way lived the american dream!!!!!!  


Living the dream

Olaotan my side kick having a go at the Camaro
PS: A big shout out to my main man the 'Jike' and AOO for loaning me the test car.

No comments:

Post a Comment