Tuesday, September 16, 2014

300

There is something particularly interesting about the number 300. When a movie has a title "300" or the Horsepower output of a car is 300, you know its going to be some scary fun.
Being a Car critic, I have been privileged to drive a diverse array of cars and embarked on some hair raising races. As fortunate as I have been, I never crossed the 300Hp mark behind the wheel of a car. That is until now. Let me put this in perspective, majority of the people who will read this article will own a Japanese car Largely Toyota's. Fewer will own the top of the range models that come with V6 engines. As for a fact, as fast as any V6 engine is on any Toyota model , it is LESS than 300Hp. Apply the same rule to Honda’s as well.
2007 Acura Tech Package with rear DVD system

Being behind the wheels of a 300hp is an experience. It would rival a devout Muslim visiting the holy city of Mecca. I have never been a Honda/ Acura fan chiefly because of the nasty experience I had while trying to dispose of a 2002 Honda Accord. It was a full spec model with a V6 engine doing some damage. For its 2 year life cycle, the owner had replaced the transmission 4 times. It had the most damaging shift delays.
The 2007 Acura MDX Sport Package with Entertainment pack redeemed Acura’s lost image with me. The MDX at inception was a souped up version of the Honda Pilot. For its 2nd generation, Acura went bunkers. Minus all the tech Gizmos that makes you love the MDX, it packs a 3.7L 300Hp engine which has power going to all wheels via Acura’s proprietary SH-AWD.
I had the pleasure of spending a week with this car and I can tell you very few things will outrun it on the streets of Lagos. 



2 comments:

  1. I would really like to push this to 200km/h. Which is 5km/h shy of 195km/h (highest I've ever clocked)

    ReplyDelete