Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Topgear Vs. Pimp my ride

Having a blog affords me the opportunity to interact with a lot of people on car matters. There’s a question I detest most among all the frequent questions I ever get asked. What can I do to Pimp my Ride?
People often say Nigerians Love cars, that Nigerians drive some of the choicest cars in the world. If I’m sitting whenever I hear that comment I always fall back into my seat( I get weak from hearing that sort of biased, mis-guided and un-informed comment). Now let me ask how many times have you ever seen a Ferrari in this country, any Ferrari at all? Ok, how about a Lamborghini? an Aston Martin? an SLR McLaren? In all my many years crisscrossing Nigeria, I have only come across 1 ferrari and it was 360 Modena. (That means old) it’s since been replaced by the 430 and even that’s been replaced by the 458 Italia.


Topgear or Pimp my ride, who takes it?


Now how do we arrive at the “we drive the baddest cars in Africa” notion come from? I’ll tell you where. It’s from that Lame program called Pimp my ride. Yep you heard me right. The only thing good on that show is the Host. Xhibit hosts the show and is one of my greatest rappers of all time and its no suprise he was recruited to make a lame program cool. The show focuses on restoring beat down, low end scraps to much more "fly" condition. But what do they succeed in doing, they add more gadgets in the form of all manner of LCD screens, sub woofers that weigh more than the moon and rims that are bigger than Mars on these cars and then do little to offset the additional weight burden with more power.
Now a real Car show should focus on the CARS. Cars by their very nature are meant to be driven. So any enhancement to these cars on any show should aid their drivability. Mercedes spends a million pounds a day on research and development!!!!!!!!!!!!! So how on earth do you think a 2 bit part builder from some obscure part of the earth will make a part that could replace one developed with that kind of budget?????
That’s why I love Topgear. It’s hosted by a bunch of Middle aged English men who clown around all day with all sorts of toilet humour and Judge a car based on its performance, its connection with the driver and how much soul it has. Any episode on Topgear that involves restoring a car, the 1st thing that is done is to up the power, reduce the weight and fit bigger brake discs that help with slowing the car down, Pimp my ride would add winged doors(more weight), LCD+mega speakers+sub woofers+huge rims; fitting huge rims on cars are cool but have you asked what it does to the driving dynamics of the car? Well 1st up is this, bigger rims no matter what they’re made from means more weight. Now because you’re just tweaking the rims alone, you have to still fit that rim into the same wheel well as the former one, it means you have to use low profile tyres (remember fities line “low pro’s so it looks like I’m riding on blades”), that then means your tyres have a smaller side wall. The side walls help in absorbing some of the harsh surfaces on our roads. What you’ve simply done is take that part of the dampening effect out making your car more noisy, 1000times more uncomfortable and finally because we have such bad roads, you’ve sunk a well in your pocket because our bad roads will tear up your “low pros” like Jigga tears up a Biggie( remember that the next time you watch Pimp my ride). Ask MTN big boy Gboyega why he took out his 22” rims from his Murano
Before you ever consider "Pimping your ride", please put it in a road worthy condition deserving of a 100% and then if the thought of it crosses your mind be sure not to call me.................
With that point made, I award the car show award to Topgear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. No comparism Top gear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no comparism,
    Top gear is a program every one will enjoy if you don't mind the three middle age English men as Biodun so eloquently put it clowning around all day. but you will get first hand information about cars; their driving dynamics, braking power, how many horses its got, how fast it can go, the weight to speed differential.
    Pimp my ride is show For SHOW,
    like you said they put big rims and sub woofers increasing the weight and thats pretty much it,
    no offence to the show or my man X,
    I think a show like Chip Foose's OVERHAULING is more like it.
    restoring old cars with very little additional s, of course they definitely work on your engines.
    Nigerians love cars, but we don't drive cars.
    we buy what every other person buys in in quantity and drive the around.
    like Biodun said, i have never seen a Ferrari in 9ja, saw a porshe carrera 996 once and that sounded like the engine was about falling apart,
    yes we could find cars like MAYBACH 57, maybe 62, ROLLS PHANTOM, THE SUPER S( S CLASS BENZ 2009) BENTLEY CONTINENTALS( BOTH GT AND FLYING SPUR)
    but thats like the peak.
    NO maserrati , no Astons, No Bugatti, no Ferrari,s, Porsches; the list is endless
    Am sure we all know in a place like Dubai,
    your eyes will pop out of their sockets.
    We love cars thats it.
    I with Biodun on this, TOP GEAR IS A MUST WATCH IF U TRULY LIKE CARS

    ReplyDelete
  3. True talk my guy!!!

    Pimp My Ride? Who watches that shit!!! I can confidently claim not to have ever watched an episode!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jigga tearing up a biggie???? we all know the connection between nigerians and cars. its kinda lame, who can tell me whatever happened to all those OPEL OMEGA's of a few years
    ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biodun, are you telling me that if Xzibit had offered to pimp Slama for you some few years ago you would have refused? I mean pimp it up "Pimp my ride" style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Jigga u know how u reap the heck out of a '1759'?
    @ Wola, i definitely would have turned Xhibit down. What Slama needed that show never could have offered her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haba Biodun, I really wanna believe that this write up was just to mess Pimp my ride up.....hw on earth would u compare dat high skul program to Top Gear...jeez,am annoyed.
    But,I'd say nigerians love cars but the state of our roads mess dat up, that's why we tend to buy the bigger cars like d maybachs,phantoms n all...Give Nigerians good roads,u'll see a lot of ferraris n d aston martins.....
    I was almost late for work 1 day cos my neighbour's BMW Z4 got hooked up on tryin to climb a covet. I asked myself: was he blind while he was bringing d car to our street or wot????

    ReplyDelete